Research assistant, Department of Peace and Conflict Research
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Peace and Conflict Research was established in 1971 to conduct peace research and offer courses in peace and conflict studies. Currently approx. 80 persons are employed at the Department and at present some 300-400 students are enrolled every academic year. Courses offered include undergraduate and post-graduate courses, as well as a Ph. D. programme. For more information, visit www.pcr.uu.se
The Department now seeks to hire a full-time (100%) research assistant for ten months. The assistant will work 60 % within the RJ-financed project “Methods for Reflexive Analysis of Positionality” (project leader Kristine Eck), and 40% within the ERC-financed project “Variation in Oversight of Police Misconduct (project leader Kristine Eck).
- Data collection on police misconduct oversight institutions in Spain, Chile and Mexico
- Write summaries of police misconduct oversight institutions
- Review of secondary literature on research ethics
- Editing and formatting of anthology and article manuscripts
- Coordination of anthology contributors
- Workshop planning and coordination
- Preparation of draft academic texts
- Maintaining project correspondence
Qualifications and required skills:
- Bachelor degree in Peace and Conflict studies, or a related field
- Excellent proficiency in English and Spanish (reading, writing and speaking)
- Experience with qualitative data collection
- Basic word processing and Excel skills
- Attention to detail and exactness, analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to work to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain networks of contacts
- Experience with research on police misconduct oversight
- Coursework on research ethics
- Studies at advanced level (Master level) in Peace and Conflict studies
- Copy-editing experience (English)
- Ability to independently analyze data and to develop scientific texts
For this position, we will carefully consider qualifications, merits and personal suitability.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: 15 June 2021, or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position ending 15 April 2022 (10 months).
Scope of employment: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact: Kristine Eck,
Please submit your application by 8 March 2021, UFV-PA 2021/548.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Peace and Conflict Research
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Individual salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/548
Last application date: 2021-03-08